There is one part of the wedding day that makes any man drop beads of sweat into their soup…the speeches! Traditionally it’s the men that do them after the meal. Not anymore!
It is becoming more common for brides, bridesmaids and mothers of the bride to take over the reigns and do a little speech to celebrate the day. There is no rule book as to who can speak at a wedding, it’s up to each individual member of the bridal party so if you are a bridesmaid you are not safe from speeches anymore!
The guide to a perfect speech is:
– Keep it short and sweet, one good/funny story is enough
– Remember that half the guests don’t know the bride/groom personally
– Don’t mention ex partners
– Make sure to do a few thank yous and toast the bride and groom
– Don’t drag on for 45 mins…there are others to speak
It’s traditional for the speeches to take place after the main course of the meal but why not mix it up and have them after the starter or during the cocktail hour. At least the bridal party can enjoy their dinner then! I can’t tell you how many wedding meals I have sat through with most of the males in the bridal party unable to eat their dinner with nerves.
You want everyone to enjoy your wedding day, most of all your bridal party so don’t let them sweat for their supper!
Here is one of my favourite speeches!
Love from my world,