One of the big questions that couples have to answer ahead of their big day is do they want kids at their wedding. It could be 5 or 50 but if you invite one cousin’s child, you have to invite all the cousins children. For some couples the thoughts of having children running around at the reception is not what they had planned for their big day while for others it’s perfect as they are family and that’s what the big day is all about.
Having kids at your wedding is something you can control and if you put a tenth of the effort into planning the kids entertainment as you do planning the adults, you are bound to have happy campers! Here are some ideas on how to keep the little ones happy while you enjoy your big day:
1. Bubbles or ribbons outside the church – have bubbles or ribbons ready for kids to celebrate the bride and groom as they emerge from the church. It makes for great photos too!
2. Drinks reception – make sure you have a kid friendly option at your drinks reception. Milk and cookies is sure to be a winner.
3. Table activites – whether you place the kids at the same table or with their families, have something for them to do. To a child a 4 course meal and speeches is extremely long so it’s important to keep them busy.
– Do up your own activity pack personalised with your names and date with colouring sheets, crossword puzzles, all wedding related.
– Give each a disposable camera along with an I Spy card of pictures they should take. This is ideal for older kids.
– A bowl of lego in the centre of the table is also a fun way to keep them busy.
4. Have a kids corner – set aside a corner of the reception area and have a kid friendly zone. Have some games, appropriate for the ages there. It’s a great way for kids on different sides of the family to interact and make friends and they will spend the night together. If there are a few kids there together, adults can take turns being with them so that they get a dance too.
5. Rest stop – when the dancing gets too much, have some blankets and pillows in the kids corner for them to take a nap.
Just some ideas to get you started for your child friendly wedding. Let me know if you have done any of these at your wedding.
Love from my world,